Released on 5 July 2013
[Editor’s note: various links added or corrected]
In a move set to make the cost of running an electric vehicle (EV) even more affordable, British Gas – the UK’s leading supplier of residential charging units – has today launched its first free* nationwide charging package to include a home charge point and access to the nationwide POLAR public charging network.
Available from 1st July until 31st March 2015, the package includes* at no extra cost:
• Installation of a home charge point (a 16 Amp data enabled Wall Box to help you keep track of your energy use) and an earthing connection for ensured safety.
• Access to the POLAR network until the end of March 2014. Giving you the use of more than 1,800 public charging points across the country to keep you going on the road.
• A home-suitability survey by a fully-trained British Gas electrician, survey and installation on the same day for your convenience.
• Access to Chargevision online account management and smart phone app to help you easily keep track of your energy use.
• Three year charge point warranty and three year parts and labour warranty
Open to anyone, not just British Gas customers, this offer is jointly funded through British Gas and the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles, with access to the Polar network provided by Chargemaster**.
Andreas Atkins, Head of Electric Vehicle Services at British Gas, said:
“This offer is a milestone for the UK’s electric vehicle market. The number of electric vehicles on the road is predicted to hit 1.5m by 2020*** and the Government funding scheme which makes this offer possible is doing a lot to help reduce the cost of owning an EV even further.
“As the offer is open to anyone it’s a great time for the friends or family of EV drivers to install electric vehicle charge points at their homes. For example, if someone is making a regular journey to and from a relative’s house then having a charge point at both destinations could be worthwhile.”
David Martell, Chief Executive of Chargemaster Plc commented:
“Chargemaster is pleased to work with British Gas on this project. Providing free Homecharge Units and free membership of POLAR is a great opportunity for EV owners to get the most out of their electric motoring.”
British Gas electric vehicle charging points offer a safe, convenient and compatible way to charge your electric vehicle at home. With expertise in the electric vehicle market, British Gas can advise on and install the ideal solution for your specific needs, leaving you with the best way to charge your electric
In order to receive a free electric vehicle charging package, people can visit
*Terms and conditions
1. To receive this free offer you will need an O2 data network connection which will be used to collect your usage data. The British Gas electrician will run tests during your survey to check your eligibility.
2. Access and usage of POLAR public charging network available across UK at no additional cost. This offer is subject to availability and any proposed offer end date will be published in advance. To find out what’s included in this offer, refer to the frequently asked questions section on the British Gas website. This offer is only valid in mainland UK and excludes the Channel Islands and Isle of Man. For full terms and conditions applicable to this offer please click here.
3. Chargemaster reserves the right to review this pricing structure on an individual basis with 30 days notice.
4. Chargemaster products, including all components and accessories shall be fully guaranteed against all defects arising from faults in design, manufacture and workmanship for a period of 36 months from delivery of charging points/s. Anything else is excluded. Applies to mainland UK only.
5. British Gas guarantees all parts and labour for 36 months from the date of any repair/fitting. Any guarantees do not affect your legal rights under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. You can get advice about your rights from a Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Department.
6. **Chargemaster Plc is one of the most successful charging systems manufacturers in Europe and operates the POLAR national charging network in the UK. It has a range of 22 products meeting the needs of every sector of the market. This year it has supplied charging solutions to over 15 European countries including France, Ireland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Denmark as well as being the largest supplier in the UK.
*** According to EC clean fuel strategy 2013