December 14, 2013 at 09:39 #6577
When browsing different web sites, you may notice that many users have a picture next to their name. These pictures are called “avatars.” WordPress, however, which this site is based on, uses a specific type of avatar called “Gravatars” – short for “Globally Recognized Avatar.” Unlike standard avatars, Gravatars follow you around the web and automatically appear when you post a comment on a WordPress site.
WordPress integrates Gravatars into every WordPress site. Once registered with Gravatar, the service matches your WordPress profile information to the email address registered with Gravatar and displays your custom Gravatar image next to comments and (optionally) elsewhere on the WordPress site. If you choose not to sign up with Gravatar, a default icon appears next to your name.
This is very straightforward – the Gravatar site will lead you through it – but here’s what to expect:
1. Go to Gravatar.com and sign up or log in.
2. Click on the My Gravatars link to manage your gravatars, if you already have one go to 6.
3. If you don’t already have one click on the ‘add a new image’ link, then you can choose the source from either your hard drive or the internet (or in fact a webcam if you have one).
4. Enter the address of the image, and press Next. Then you will be able to crop the image to choose just the part you want – but note the final Gravatar will always be square. Press Crop and Finish.
5. Choosing a rating for the image. Currently this site only accepts ‘G’ (same as ‘U’) but I don’t mind raising this up to ‘PG’ if there’s demand. For now click the G button.
6. You’ll be on the manager your gravatars page. Select an image to be your Gravatar if not already done.December 15, 2013 at 08:54 #6581
Thanks, Trevor – job done!December 15, 2013 at 11:15 #6582
No problem. The pics do brighten up the forum nicely.July 10, 2014 at 14:55 #9178
Trevor my picture keeps coming thou on its side can you help
FreddyJuly 10, 2014 at 23:32 #9182
If you upload it as an attachment I’ll set it as your avatar.July 11, 2014 at 01:12 #9184
Thanks TrevorJuly 13, 2014 at 09:20 #9212
Dr Steel, that picture won’t upload here as it’s too big – maybe it’s the same problem at Gravatar.com.July 30, 2014 at 22:39 #9399
How do you do start a thread again or ask a question …it’s not obvious…I can’t see link/button?August 1, 2014 at 21:51 #9450
To create a thread (called a ‘topic’ with this software) you go to the Forums page, then go into to the most relevant forum, then go to the edit box at the bottom of the page. E.g. for a ZOE topic go here.November 11, 2014 at 15:37 #10420
Oh Oh does it work? does it work?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.